Wanting to completely change direction in your career and move into a new industry, but don’t know where to start?
Perhaps you have a good idea about what you want to do but have no experience in this new industry.
As your career coach the first things I would ask you to look at is what you have explored so far.
- Have you done your research and homework around what’s involved to get into that industry and what’s involved to get into a particular job you want?
- What is it about the new industry and new role that is appealing to you?
- What is the kind of work you want to be doing?
- What’s satisfying about it and why you want to do it?
Then we can zoom in to the specific details of the particular job you want to be doing.
First we would look at building on what you’ve done in the past. What transferable skills have you got that you could build on in this new job and new industry?
We do this because you will have valuable talents and skills that you will take with you into the new role. Everybody does.
Next we define where you want to go in terms of the type of job you want and what it looks like, then we can look at how we start making that happen.
We do that by exploring the opportunities available to you right now, from your current position.
Then we also look at the possible obstacles standing in your way.
What could be stopping you from taking that leap and moving into that job right now?
It may be something as simple as the job that you want requires you to have a qualification that you don’t currently have.
So again we zoom in and get specific about what are the new things that you need to learn and break that down into:
- What do you need to learn that you think you would enjoy?
- What do you need to learn that you think you might not enjoy?
We then make a realistic action plan for you to move forward, looking at what kind of study options are out there and what opportunities there are for you to gain that qualification.
- Who are the relevant education providers?
- How much will it cost and who will pay for it?
- How much time will you need to dedicate to completing the qualification?
- What value will this qualification offer to you?
This helps you to get more specific about the available opportunities to take the next steps for your move into a new industry. This will also help you to understand the type of role that would be within reach from where you are right now in your career.
Need help with a career move into a new industry?Call Angela Couch (Career Coach in Auckland) on 0226467818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your next career move.